Wednesday 15 December 2021

Day 8 - 248 -- Transformation

A major wind blew throughout the day bringing occasional flurries again. I walked to my annual eye exam, since with dilated pupils driving is not advised <smile>. The walk is 30 minutes in each direction. On the way home I headed into the wind -- the first touch of winter coldness this season. Once back home, I moved the small covering of snow from the walkways and porches. I had a late lunch followed b and unplanned nap -- must have been all that fresh air making me tired <smile>.  

When I finally checked in with online media, I learned that bell hooks died today. She was an amazing feminist scholar, advocate and author, one I've cited throughout my academic career. Her thoughts on education as a doorway to freedom helped shape my classrooms. I wanted them to be places where critical thinking reigned, where education became transformative rather than simply memorizing various facts. This meant challenging ideas and perhaps unlearning accepted knowledge. It isn't a comfortable process, but it can lead to change within the individual and their near and far environments. It transformed my world view. As an educator, I worked to make the classroom a place of learning for everyone in the room -- me included. It took time, but I'd like to think I participated in learning more about ourselves and the world around us -- and that I tried to lead with love. hooks stated that love was an action, not a feeling and wrote of love as central to living, learning and transforming. Luckily, hooks wrote 30 books about many subjects, so she will be with us always in that way.

A song that deals with a theme of the holiday season seemed appropriate today. It also speaks to a major theme in hooks writing.  Keep safe. Enjoy! 

I Wish You Peace -- The Eagles 




No comments:

Post a Comment