Wednesday 29 December 2021

Day 8 - 362 -- Apathy or Inertia?

Sun appeared with minor flurries or rain throughout the day. A dusting of snow arrived overnight again, and was gone by midday as temperature rose and sun emerged intermittently between the clouds. I headed out early in the afternoon to get some mask liners and do curbside pickup of groceries. While unpacking items at home, I found the soup and onions had been packe on top of peppers and bread. <sigh> To add insult to injury, the soup can was dented. I took a deep breath and called the store to explain my issue and ask that they be careful when packing other orders. They also offered to credit me for the damaged items. That was more than I expected. In the past, I've always had to return things in-store, but the curbside program appears able to to credit items now. Making another trip to return items has always been bizarre when one is doing curbside to avoid going into a store. It was good to see that this has been altered. 

The brief moments of sunshine helped bring short smiles today. Several things have piled up and some days I don't feel I have the energy to address them -- even one at a time. Plans are put into the calendar only to be shifted to a different day. Being in the midst of further viral outbreaks creates a degree of sadness and a feeling of defeat, which may lead to deferral of plans. This lack of action can be seen as inertia -- something that leads to feeling badly about oneself when it is seen as apathy or some other form of avoidance. Being less occupied at times may be what a mind or body require, so putting extra pressure on one's self is unlikely to help the situation. The power necessary to overcome the resistance to change -- to move forward from a static position -- perhaps should be a positive force, not a form of self deprecation. It is all very Newtonian in nature  -- Newtonian psychology <smile>.   

A song came to mind as I thought of the major thinker responsible for basic theory and laws of physics. Again, I can't always control where the thought processes go <grin>. This version recorded about 1942 is by a group of artists that I heard a lot as a child since they were some of my dad's favourites. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree -- The Glenn Miller Orchestra ft. The Modernaires, Tex Benike, & Marion Hutton 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment