Tuesday 21 December 2021

Day 8 - 354 -- Share Your Joy

Today was the first day of winter. The good news is that days now get longer. <smile> 

This afternoon, I went for a curbside grocery pick up. The online process worked for the most part. One exception involved my order for three baking potatoes. I noted these could be replaced by bulk white or red potatoes. The person working the pickup area noted the original order was replaced by 'red potatoes.' When I got it home to unpack, I discovered a 5 pound bag of red potatoes!! Guess what I'll be eating for all meals everyday  for sometime? Bizarre substitution. I sat in my car for 30 minutes waiting for the delivery to the car and finally called back when all others waiting had left. I received a gift card due to their error. I didn't expect that. The sun was shining while I waited, so I got to enjoy that. 

While waiting for my groceries and during a quick late afternoon walk, I pondered how lucky I was to have a vehicle to drive to a curbside pickup.those who don't either have a long walk to the grocery store or risk taking a taxi -- something I'm still not comfortable with -- a taxi, that costs money that could be spent on food and household needs. While one can walk up for curbside pickup, few people do this, opting instead to shop inside the store. Looking at the grocery tally today, I became acutely aware of the difficulties many people in my community area experience. During the holidays, this must add extra strain to an already tight budget. All of these thoughts came from a recognized place of privilege. Be aware of programs in your communities that provide supports for people struggling this month. The pandemic continues to affect work as several businesses have cut back or closed due to the current outbreaks. Buying gift cards to local businesses can help them meet their bills right now as their sales expectations have dropped precipitously this month. Several programs distribute the gift cards to those whose jobs have been affected by closures. In any way you can, consider supporting a local project. 

A song lyric came to mind while pondering these points today. I particularly like the line that contains "share your joy". While the lyrics note the need to think of others at this point in the year, I would suggest that we need to think of others with kindness throughout the year. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow -- Jethro Tull




No comments:

Post a Comment