Thursday 2 December 2021

Day 8 - 334 -- The Season Begins

The sun came out in the afternoon making it a glorious day. When making breakfast, there was some snow covering the ground and porch. That disappeared before the sun burst forth, which made the day feel warmer, until any errant clouds traveled in front of the sun at which point it felt chilly again. I had an appointment and then headed to get a few items at the hardware store. At home, I finished reading a book that I am reviewing for a professional association newsletter. I'll sit on it all for another day or two and then begin to cobble my ideas into something understandable to others. 

Today was the first of December. It seems unbelievable that we are here already. Time still moves quickly when it seems to drag concurrently. That is a conundrum. Days still melt into each other, so keeping track of what day of the week it is becomes a challenge at times. Not knowing the date or noticing the end of a month may not be as surprising at it feels. That I am making appointments and meetings for January now feels odd -- a new year will begin before these occur. A friend noted that the current month is the final one of 2021 when she felt that it was still 2020. The pandemic has messed up the perception of time passing, for certain. 

Today also marks the first day of my December musical selections. This blog was born from annual social media posts with seasonal songs chosen to share each day. I wrote things in this format for a few years, before moving to the everyday format of the past eight years. Yes, eight years! On my errands today, I stopped by the tree lot in town and got a wreath for the front of the house. Seeing that place up and running again brought the opening lines of a song to mind. The full lyric may be a bit on the sadder side, but I love the imagery that comes with the lyrics and the melody is unmistakably by this amazing singer-songwriter. The season is definitely underway. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

River -- Joni Mitchell



No comments:

Post a Comment