Tuesday 8 February 2022

9-38 (7/2/22) -- A Mentor Gone

 I received word that my masters degree thesis supervisor passed away a few days ago. I recall him fondly. We worked on a project that developed a photographic record method for food intake surveys. The unique aspect of this involved estimating food volumes (3-D) from a two-dimensional image. I determined this mihgt justify my being forced to take a physics course as an undergraduate <grin>.  I learned much from his innovative approach. There was always a way around any barrier -- even the naysayers. <smile> I often marvel at the technological aspects of that study -- truly cutting edge since the first internal hard drive appeared near the end of the project. We were still using typewriters though some of these did use early macros. My work was to validate the process and refine the algorithm for the estimation. 

During an overseas project that took Gustaaf to Addis Ababa for an extended trip, I was left in Winnipeg to guide the project. He and I provided updates with questions -- asked and answered -- via mailed letters. The added barrier -- which also added time -- was that the Ethiopian regime of the day headed by Mengistu was Marxist. All incoming and outgoing mail for the nation went through government censors. Gustaaf was working on a joint project between the FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization) and WHO (World Health Organization) to guide the implementation of a national household nutrition survey. Data were recorded on 7-inch floppy disks -- many of them needed for the 250 data points for each member of 10,000 households. I was charged with the statistical analysis of the massive database. First, though we had to work with the campus computer system to load the data into a single merged dataset on the mainframe, which I accessed through a dummy terminal to run a very early version of a statistical analysis software. My reports went back and forth across the Atlantic for feedback and further analysis questions to address.It was during this time that the famine in northern Ethiopia came to light based on some unprecedented footage and reporting from a CBC news crew in that country. 

The obituary for Sevenhuysen was published in the Winnipeg Free Press. I witnessed the sparkle in his eyes noted in the obit. I saw this as he thought of something new or was pursuing a solution to a problem encountered. It always made me smile when I might have felt more like tossing the terminal out the window. <grin> I took some of that excitement for innovation with me when I graduated and put it to work in my doctoral studies, public health work, course instruction, and research advisor to students. My research program grew in directions for which I had passion even when they were off the beaten path. I thank Gustaaf for encouraging that part of my thinking and action. It provided me a great base for a wonderful career. 

Feeling a bit nostalgic with the news so the selection for today goes back to the mid-1980s and the many advocacy and fund-raising projects that grew in response to the CBC televised report of the famine. This song was released in 1985 by a group of Canadian musicians and produced by David Foster. Granted the faces are 37 years younger than today, but what a group to have gathered together. This song still inspires me with its message that we are stronger together. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Tears are not Enough -- Northern Lights 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment