Tuesday 22 February 2022

9-53 (22/2/22) -- Unexpected Contact

Today I spent some time in the yard picking up branches and twigs from the last couple of wind storms. Many of these had been frozen into accumulated snow and ice, so with that mostly melted, they were free to be moved around. I chose this activity to help me deal with the frustrations of the day. A planned meeting had to be rebooked due to technology problems. The only time it could fit was a day where I had three other events set. Luckily, one could be moved a bit to accommodate but a third had to be pushed much later in the day than I'd hoped. That frustration blossomed as it merged with the irritations with the weather and the state of the world -- all of which seem to want to impact my future plans. I just felt so tired of it <sigh>. There are just too many things to juggle and adjust to. During a particularly cranky moment, I got a message from a former student and friend with some good personal news That made me smile and see some positive -- even a few happy tears there. We had a short video call where I could see and speak to the kids -- that made me smile and laugh. 

I understand that I am far from the only one in this space these days. I still feel isolated often. During our chat, my friend noted that we feel shame for a number of things that aren't of our making. I fully agreed. Shame is something that we rarely share with even the people closest to us. That idea made me realize that a many people carry shame for similar reasons, but we don't share so it only adds to the isolating feelings. Interesting. Hmmm. 

The unexpected contact today brought gratitude to the fore. Some days are easier than others to find three things that helped make the a good one. Some days go the other way. On those days, I try to look up when walking to see the sky and plants and such. That can often bring me something to be grateful for. Given the many cloudy days and nights recently, even seeing a star or the moon can make me smile. The selection chosen today speaks about things that can help us to feel grateful. I chose a version by a different artist than is usually connected with this song. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

What a Wonderful World -- Joey Ramone




No comments:

Post a Comment