Monday 28 February 2022

9-59 (28/2/22) -- A Proverbial Monday

Well, it has been a Monday <sigh>. Sewer backup + backhoe messing up my cleared driveway = frustrate little me. 

I woke to sounds of street and sidewalk plows. I cleared my driveway all the way to the street. The snow was light and easy to move. I was able to get right down to the asphalt and grass and gravel.  So far, so good. I went to speak to the landlord about the sewer backing up in the basement. When I walked out to the street, I discovered that a backhoe had come by to 'clear' my already cleared driveway. About half of the asphalt area was now covered in snow packed by tractor tires. In additions, this new guy left a knee deep pile of snow across the town sidewalk. I did the best I could -- the sidewalk was easy to clear as it was from the edge of the loader bucket. My driveway however, will be solid ice in the next day or so. I managed to get down to the ground in enough places that there is a small pathway over the packed area. I called the plow manager to say that there had been two visits that I had not called for -- one yesterday and one today. We left it that if I needed him to help clear what had been left by the backhoe, I would call him. I did not call. Surprise! He came by with his truck and plow blade that moved much of the packed snow, but now the whole asphalt area is covered in a thin layer of smooth packed snow as is the end of the drive that I had gotten down to the ground. <sigh> So, I was out three times -- once where all was cleared well and twice to try to fix what heavy equipment had done. My arms hurt. 

I'd like to soak in the tub, but can't add that much water to the system without risking an overflow of the backup downstairs. The plumbers arrive early tomorrow morning. Hopefully things will be cleared quickly so I can do the laundry, wash my hair and have that tub soak  I'd planned for today. 

Grasping for an up note here, the sun did come out a couple of times -- once while I was shoveling. That felt warm on my back on this cold and windy day. The landlord was in the office today so the call to the plumber was handled quickly. The snow I moved was relatively light and easy to move, even if there was far more than forecast again. I spent an hour or so in kitchen therapy preparing an etouffee sauce. A song came to mind while I was chopping and stirring. The title seemed to say it all for me today. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

A Little Good News -- Anne Murray




No comments:

Post a Comment