Tuesday 15 February 2022

9-46 (15/2/22) -- Jeans & Identity

It seems we got somewhere north of 25 cm (10 inches) of snow when the forecast had suggested 10-15 cm (4-6 inches). Cleanup for the latter amount is much easier than the former. I moved much of this yesterday, today I moved around the ankle deep snow (with some deeper areas) and called the plow guy for the stuff from the sidewalk and street plows. I lifted that all yesterday and my arms told me a flat out 'no' today for a repeat of that process.Most snow was quite light with the colder temperatures. I worked away for 40 minutes and left the back porch area for tomorrow. 

During the day, I watched a documentary on blue jeans that challenged common origin stories. It contextualized the story of jeans in the USA with social, commercial and racial history. have loved all of my jeans. They become a part of me -- the second skin that the documentary presented. I've even noted that I would like to be cremated with my the pair in heaviest play when that day arrives. I generally have one pair or sometimes two. At present, I have three pairs, each a different leg cut -- boot cut, straight leg and skinny. Historically, most jeans have been blue but I did have a white pair lined with flannel for winter. Now I have a dark blue, paler blue, and a pinkish wash. I like the way they feel except when they get wet. Nothing feels as uncomfortable as wet denim. Basic work wear jeans or high end fashionista jeans are all around us. Different styles denote a uniform of sorts for many societal sub-groups -- a form of identity. Jeans truly are more than just a pair of pants. <smile> 

Whatever we call them, jeans, blue jeans, dungarees, denims, this clothing piece has infiltrated all levels of fashion and society. They help us portray our self to others. Of the songs that focus on jeans, I chose one that presents expectation to wear denim for the rest of my life. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Forever in Blue Jeans -- Neil Diamond



No comments:

Post a Comment