Friday 16 May 2014

Da 136 -- Magnolias!

My first observation today was that the pink magnolias had opened up this morning up the block, on campus and elsewhere in town. The white ones have started to open, but will be out fully likely tomorrow if the temps remain warm. I'm a prairie girl and magnolias are the most amazing things I've seen. Small to large trees with bare branches and humongous flowers on the ends of those branches. It looks unreal -- and is breathtaking. I'll admit to being partial to the pink variety over the white. I've not seen any yellow types in my area of town, but I know I find yellow colours less pleasing than pink or purple or blue.  So - imagine how great it is to see the pink magnolias and the dark blue hyacinth and grape hyacinth in full bloom all over town. Love these so much.

These are the May flowers that the huge rains of April managed not to wash away. We are to have warmth and sun again tomorrow and then some cloud with precipitation for a few days. Things seem a bit behind the usual calendar by a week or two. The lawn will be ready to mow next week -- a light mowing in the soggier part of the yard. Tomorrow may be a good BBQ (or grilling depending on your locale <smile>) day. I was hoping to bake and do some cooking to fill the deep freeze with items to heat in microwave on the warmer days. This house is already hot inside and the dehumidifiers are beginning to run. I really dislike weather that makes me hot even when inside (without a/c). Even a bit of humidity makes me uncomfortable. Guess I should live somewhere drier than a maritime climate, eh? <smile>

Today's selection seems appropriate for the flowers we're seeing all around town -- a fun tune from a great band. Enjoy!

Sugar Magnolia -- The Grateful Dead



No comments:

Post a Comment