Wednesday 14 May 2014

Day 134 -- close even when far away

Two major items today -- one - finished what I hope will be the final edits to the big report. and my last meeting as chair of the board. Lots of new projects are moving in to fill the void left by these undertakings.  Yet, what really made me pause today was a short FB message from a friend and the flurry of posts that followed from others.

Social media certainly can get information out to the masses in short order. I read about a friend being evacuated from her apartment building as it seemed to be collapsing. My mind went to many places and was pleased to read that she and her furry friends had made it to safety at the corner. While she texted as she was able, many people checked in to let her know they were thinking of her and those close enough were offering assistance. Now, over the past several years, I have read some very personal and tragic occurrences in the lives of my friends -- some of whom I consider to be family. Fires, floods, illnesses, terrorist attacks -- I've read about them all from people I know online -- though to be honest, I've met most of them in person, too <smile>. These items used to take days to be communicated -- and sometimes even longer. So -- I had two ways to find a positive in today's events --1. she was at home this afternoon and 2. supporting messages could reach her as she stood outside on the street.

So -- while this online world may be superficial to many people and others may feel it is much more that it really is -- I've found my small circle of friends to be of great help when I've been in a dark place -- whether it is a short lived feeling or one that took more time to work through. The development of community has been very interesting to watch from an anthropological standpoint. It has also been amazing to be a part of the process from the inside -- a type of participant - observer, if you will. It is much greater than the two way communications of letter writing of pen pals. It is even greater than the round robin letters groups of us wrote for several years. This is everyone being in every moment in real time. Truly extraordinary. So, as much as I have been cursing technology of late, it can be an amazing aspect in our lives that can enrich our communications and relationships. Obviously, not all communications have this power, but if you are lucky you will experience some.

The title of today's selection is a term that originates in social psychology and refers to physical or psychological closeness. The lyrics encompass many of my feelings towards technology, which is physically close, as well as the feelings of caring for friends and family who use the technology to maintain and build relationships. All in all -- an intriguing concept. While the song was first recorded by the N.G. Dirt Band, this version is sung and played by the songwriter, someone you're familiar with if you read this blog with any regularity <smile> -- what can I say? He is an amazing poet and musician. Enjoy!

Propinquity -- Michael Nesmith (with The Monkees)


No comments:

Post a Comment