Wednesday 28 May 2014

Day 148 -- famous writer and musical muses

The sun shone by afternoon today, though the north wind off the strait still with ice was cool. But, the day was pleasant. I worked on the usual suspects and spent some time this evening with the MOOC.  I also finished canning some homemade applesauce tonight -- a small batch of about 6 cups, but it will get me through a couple months. I love this on pancakes or French toast.

The MOOC this week is dealing with the life of MFK Fisher and food in literary writing. One video of remembrances by her daughter, Kennedy Friede Golden, spoke of her mother's habit of writing in the middle of the night. Kennedy would awake to either the sound of the typewriter or music as her mother was writing. The music she noted was Fats Waller and Jelly Roll Morton.  I found myself smiling when she mentioned these men. One was a favourite of my Dad's -- Fats Waller. I loved the songs and jazz piano and would play the LP often.

Today's selection is from that famed album. Enjoy!

I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter -- Fats Waller

.

No comments:

Post a Comment