Wednesday 21 May 2014

Day 141 - Postmodernity and me

I was writing more today for the conference presentations. Running things past others for input on clarity and completeness reminds me of something I read years ago. It was a quote from George Bernard Shaw -- "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place." This thought made me smile. We each see and hear different things with print and verbal communications. It truly is a plurality of understanding as no single meaning exists. This has been the base of much of the media content analysis research I've been involved in over the years. Communication is so complex that few single theories can explain it well. I've found that often a communications plan is grounded in multiple theories and models.

I've always been fascinated by the fact that what I'd say wasn't understood as I'd intended -- or that I'd hear something from someone else that hadn't been expected. Aren't we interesting creatures? <smile>  In my mind, it all comes down to our life experiences, our mood at any given moment, and how tired we might be <gg>. The same message can mean different things to the same person in different situations. We see and hear different things each time we hear the same commercial or read the same book. The brain is an amazing thing. Thoughts like this seem to solidify my self concept as a post-modernist <smile>.

So -- a song or artist to deal with my postmodern bent -- there are many from which to choose, David Bowie to Frank Zappa to Pink Floyd to Madonna to Lady Gaga to so many others. But I think today's song depicts postmodernity well.  It was recorded by R.E.M. but is sung here by a Canadian group from Newfoundland. Love the up-tempo of this cover. Enjoy!

End of the World as we know it -- Great Big Sea


No comments:

Post a Comment