Tuesday 6 May 2014

Day 126 - feeling like a human report generator

We are deep into the report generation this next week before the impending due date. I will be doing this daily until the submit button is clicked next Thursday. I have found it extremely difficult to ignore things outside my door or the constant pinging of  the 'you've got mail' messaging. One method of gaining focus in writing for years now has been music. Whether home with the stereo or in the office with a disc-man and now my trusty iPod, a bit of music at a low decibel level helps me to shut out the world around me, letting me get on with the task at hand.

Writing is a truly personal and isolating process, even with co-authors. I am one of 'those' writers. It takes forever to get something on paper. It is not that I am procrastinating, but that I tend to write in my head for several versions. When words finally tumble out, it is generally in a next to last draft format. Others do the stream of consciousness style of writing, where the goal is to get something on paper and then begin the revising and editing process. Many brains just don't work that way <smile>.  So -- when I get to the point of sitting down to type or write on paper, I need focus to get all the bits out of those file drawers in the mind. Music has always helped me achieve this.

Today while writing and feeling a bit unfocused and frustrated with the whole task, a song came on the iPod that made me instantly smile and relax. It says what I've just written -- that music can help you focus on one thing and it will shut out the extraneous parts of life for a while.  I love this version and the amazing female voices and harmonies of this fabulous group. This particular album is a favourite of mine as it is a mix of covers of songs made famous by their parents. Enjoy!

I can hear music -- Wilson Phillips


No comments:

Post a Comment