Sunday 4 May 2014

Day 124 - work pays off

The morning convocation ceremonies went well. I love seeing students complete their degree by walking across that stage. It is great closure and a way to have a few moments when everyone sees the accomplishments of one person.

I can't help but reflect on my own convocation ceremonies. I have always attended -- luckily I worked in the area each time so travel wasn't too tricky. I only ever received two tickets for viewers, which always went to my parents. Our campus changed the venue a few years ago to a larger area, so students can now bring parents, grandparents, spouses and children. It is fantastic to see everyone enjoying and celebrating. We have a tea for graduates and visitors after the ceremony. I love meeting the people important to students. I wish we'd had something like this when I graduated -- it would have made it much easier to introduce my parents to faculty and other students.

Knowing what lies ahead as graduates carve out their career and life paths fills me with a warm happy feeling -- an excitement of sorts, I guess. There's pride, too, to see the people they've become over their years in the program. There is so much I'd like to say to them -- but they've listened to me a lot in the past few years, so I chose a song (surprise!). There are several out there that say some of the things I'd like to say, but this one says most of what crosses my mind at this time of year. Hope you can deal with the on-screen lyrics -- this one had a better audio than others. Enjoy!

I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=i+hope+you+dance+lee+ann+womack

No comments:

Post a Comment