Saturday 2 November 2019

Day 6 - 303 -- ritualized begging?

It was a rainy Halloween here, but it didn't pour like seen in other areas. Warmer air is present making for a warmer fall day than usual. I worked from home, but had difficulty focusing on the tasks at hand. A friend and I went out for dinner, which we often do on this date. No one chooses to walk the dark 100 foot driveway, if any children even come down our street. The newer subdivisions have more young families, so those are the favoured place for kids doing the rounds. Dinner was wonderful and it was just what I needed for a social outing. A few kids in costumes came by the restaurant, most being kids of staff members. Their costumes were cute.

I've not really enjoyed Halloween with its focus on greed -- size and type and amount of treats becoming the focus. Lack of thanks or even rude comments over the choice of treats distributed seems difficult to reconcile. Is it about entitlement? Hmmm  House parties would be more my speed if I had to participate in any way. I went to a few as a child and enjoyed the games and fun with everyone getting the same treat bag in the end. Perhaps it is the competitive nature and inequalities that bother me. I think I need to unpack this one more. <smile>

Many songs exist that fit the day. I managed to choose one.  The lyrics even contain a number of food references since "Food is my Life" [TM]" <smile>. Enjoy!

Werewolves of London -- Warren Zevon


No comments:

Post a Comment