Sunday 10 November 2019

Day 6 - 313 -- Coping Failures

Today, for the first time, I made mulligatawny soup -- a very large batch that luckily was very tasty. I also knocked a number of items off the weekend 'to do' list -- household chores, needed communications, searching for needed items online ( I dislike shopping online <yuck>). At times I felt a bit anxious and lost in all the planning and decision making, though one major decision is beginning to take form <smile>.

Dealing with external forces that threaten to take control of life creates a challenge. I'm not willing to let that happen, but feel like control is being taken from me at times. Anxiousness and fear flit in and out of my mind loudly whispering -- almost shouting at times -- "what if"  over and over again. There's even a word for that -- catastrophizing (great, a noun turned into a verb <sigh>). When faced with a confluence of things that threaten to throw it all off the rails, usual coping strategies for singular challenges may not function as expected. With several big issues screaming in your face, even a small item that wouldn't create much of a ripple in the pond of life can feel like a tidal wave. Finding a needed coping strategy sometimes requires more energy than one can muster.

The song chosen for today speaks to another noun that has recently become a verb (and I do dislike this sort of language misuse <smile.) -- to adult or the present participle, adulting. I like the use of internal rhyming in the lyrics, which provides shorter phrases with a somewhat staccato feel, much like the stressers produce. Enjoy!

Growing Pains -- Alessia Cara

 

No comments:

Post a Comment