Tuesday 12 November 2019

Day 6 - 315 -- Big Big Rain

Heavy cloud moved in yesterday evening and bore rain today. Some heavy downpours in the forenoon yielded to light rain and drizzle as I walked out to Main Street for an errand and then walked further out for an early afternoon meeting. As I left that place, no rain was falling. Within a few minutes we had some sporadic raindrops that turned into major rain. About 4-5 minutes out form the meeting site, my feet felt wet. My runners have netted vents on the top -- definitely not great in rain. I've worn these same shoes on wet days, but only felt vaguely damp. Today, about one-third of the way home I felt water pooling under my feet. I was certain there would be water to pour out of the shoes when I got home, but the insoles held much of that water. I propped them up in front of a baseboard heater and found that some water oozed out onto the floor. I'm not sure how long it will take to fully dry these, but I think I need to find something else to wear tomorrow. The rain jacket and rain pants kept me dry otherwise, though rain ran down the jacket into my pockets so my hands were wet. I did not look up while walking, but believe the rain would have obscured vision of those driving past me. Big pools of water was present on the sidewalks and streets -- like huge ponds. the weather folks predict more rain overnight. the one thing I was very thankful for was that there was far less wind driving that rain than had been forecast.

Other than the rain, the day never got past the twilight stage. The day was the type that is often called grey and dismal. It does seem to be something to prepare us for the coming season, which has many such days. With the cloud cover, we will not see the full moon tonight. I did see the almost full moon on Saturday evening, but love seeing the full moon. I enjoy the moonlight on the kitchen floor.

When thinking of songs, several came to mind. I thought of 'Twilight on the Trail' by Michael Nesmith, but couldn't find it available online. I then thought of something from Woodstock, where they were treated to similar deluges. But I settled on another song that described some of my experience walking home this afternoon. Enjoy!

In the Pouring Rain -- Bob Geldof


No comments:

Post a Comment