Thursday 21 November 2019

Day 6 - 323 -- Where's the Muse?

 I was back at the office for the first time in a week. but slow to get back into the rhythm. The day brought a meeting to edit a co-authored document;  setting meetings for planning a presentation; working to put thoughts into words -- sometimes things just flow and other times it is a struggle. Being away from this for a while can make it challenging to become immersed again -- like swimming -- getting fully wet feels very cold and hesitating can just drag out the process. Taking the plunge doesn't feel easy either some days <smile>.  Once I get down to reviewing notes and adding words and phrases to existing writing, it should be easier to get back to getting words on a blank page. I have to be kind to me but still not hold up my co-authors and reviewers.

Needless to say, my inability to focus brings with it a feeling of being lost. Working through the clutter that enters the mind as I try to begin to write can feel overwhelming. Where should I begin? How can I get that writing groove back? Where do the writing muses like to hang out? I really need one right now. I will be taking another two days later this week to do 'me' things. I hope that will bring about the relaxed feelings needed for focus into the following days. It takes time to get things organized and sorted -- reviewing concepts and phrasing from the previous notes. It will work out -- it always does, but being calm and accepting of what feels like a delay is rather difficult.

A song came to mind that took me back to the greyness of the weather at this time of year. I said to a store clerk that I've just as happy if things went from autumn directly into spring. <smile> Now that seems like ignoring a quarter of each year -- time when so much could be accomplished and enjoyed. The song lyric and arrangement made me smile again and provided a window to hope. It may just counter the 'I want this done now!' mood -- which also impedes forward movement in the writing process. Enjoy!

Here Comes the Sun -- The Beatles 




No comments:

Post a Comment