Sunday 3 November 2019

Day 6 - 306 -- Longer Day

The annual 25 hour day is nearing its close. Many statements exist saying that we get an extra hour to sleep or whatever. Research clearly indicates that extra sleep does not occur. People stay awake longer and wake much earlier than they would have before changing time. That one hour makes a huge difference to our circadian rhythms. However, the change forward in the spring creates much more mayhem with far less sleep and more risk of accidents from drowsiness. Little reason exists for continuing this changing of time twice a year, so isn't time to adopt a single time and go with it? I come from a province that has not changed time since a law passed about a century ago. The province farms and does business around the world without changing time. It all works.

So, 25 hours -- how did I spend the extra hour. Other than usual Sunday activities, I did some cooking. I made a big pot of red sauce for future pasta dinners. A batch of red beans -- New Orleans style -- will be matched with a pot of rice tomorrow. After all, these are traditional Lundi beans <smile>. I also used the last of a box of local blueberries for a crisp that should last the week. A few cleaning activities will be pushed to tomorrow. Even that extra hour didn't give me enough time or energy to get it all done. <smile>.

The long day reminded me of a much longer day I experienced years back. It was a 30 hour day. I got on a plane in Hong Kong at noon and landed 10 hours later at 6 AM on the same day. Flying east always creates major jet lag for me. I'm sure I slept 20 hours when I got off the final plane. It took some time to not wake at 3 AM thinking it was lunch time <smile>, but going back to work and a schedule seemed to work best for me. So, two or three days later I was back at my desk. A friend had an extra week of vacation, so she was still getting up to cook lunch in the middle of the night. It took getting back to work to stop that cycle.

I chose a relaxing sounding song to go along with the diverse pondering of the day. The melody and the voice are so smooth and calming. Enjoy!

The Long Day is Over -- Norah Jones


No comments:

Post a Comment