Saturday 21 December 2019

Day 6 -- 353 -- Being Vulnerable

Surprise scattered itself throughout the day. I began by paying a bill for a reassessment of the tax return -- it appears the software package didn't fully populate a line in the income section, but included it in deductions. Lesson learned -- never trust software to do your job for you <smile>. A quick visit to the physio gave me some new exercises to do to ward off future difficulties. In the evening, I got the lights on the tree, but not without incident. While trying to untangle the string of lights in my hand, I stepped sideways while focused on the mass of cord I held and managed to fall over the footstool -- I'd moved it from its usual spot and forgot it was there <sigh>. Pulled a muscle in the shoulder and have pain on the opposite shin, but nothing really huge. Heat and ice will be my friends over the weekend. <smile>

While sitting at a restaurant for lunch, I asked myself how I was going to be brave today. I thought about several things that could have me walking into my own discomfort. A pep talk for myself was the result -- a talk that I'll share with you all. Do something that scares you or takes your breath away -- makes you stop breathing when the feelings get so intense that you simply hold your breath without realizing it. Put yourself out there -- be vulnerable rather than in such tight control. I'm not advocating you try cliff diving or bungee jump off a bridge, but rather that you face something that seems difficult to you from the emotions that it can bring -- the emotions that take you out of that place of control. Address the thing(s) that may stop you from experiencing all life has to offer. Perhaps it means that you have to take your own advice <smile> and just go for it and don't fear that experience <smile>. I believe that taking control by giving up control could bring happy, peaceful feelings. Wow -- that may be a lot to digest. <grin>

Well, a song for this pondering was a challenge especially given the holiday theme used this month. One did present itself, though. The lyrics speak to anticipation that comes with facing something new to you, and they note the gift of positive emotions such forays into vulnerability can bring. The singer, a Canadian from Scotland, has the perfect voice for this song. Enjoy!

Waiting for Christmas to Come -- Johnny Reid




No comments:

Post a Comment