Monday 23 December 2019

Day 6 - 355 -- Working Through the Holidays

Mundane things filled the day. More laundry, minor bits of cleaning (and there are big bits needing my attention), and small attempts to address the mountain of correspondence. It was a teary kind of day -- some for reasons and some for no reason that I could put a finger on. This time of year often brings on sadness. People that were the centre of the holiday season have left this world while others are a great distance away. Maybe sadness isn't the right word; it could be more a feeling of being alone. Now, that isn't the case, either; new traditions have been made involving other people and telephone and electronic communication media can connect us with those further than a short drive away.

Today, a call from a dear friend helped us both to move out of the blue funk and laugh at some of the absurdities of situations we each face. An electronic conversation with a loved one also helped to get past the tears and smile more. So -- again, I am not alone -- not at all. <smile>  Having people who listen when there is a difficult day is part of the construct of social support. We know we have people who can assist when things go sideways for us. When they contact me to chat just when I need them, saves that difficult part of having to contact them when I feel down -- that is, asking for help <smile>. But, I know I could and they would be there. The other part of this construct is that I know that I can support the friends when they are having a bad day or week. In order to improve health, this relationship must be reciprocal. How cool is that? <smile>

A song that came to mind expresses some of the feelings of the day, clearly noting that others may not understand the effect of the sparkly holiday season. Now I need to dig around and find those stars for my shoes. <smile> Enjoy!


Christmas Blues -- Dean Martin



No comments:

Post a Comment