Sunday 2 February 2020

Day 7 - 33 -- Which will it be -- Sun or cloud?

Today seems to be dominated by videos of rodents across Canada and the US predicting the weather. That meteorologists are reporting this weirdness only adds to my wondering about what predicts long term weather patterns better -- a groundhog seeing its shadow or a meteorologist with a computer modeling program. I hazard a guess that it might be that these two items provide similar levels of prognostication certainty.

I shoveled snow to clear a narrow path to the town sidewalk. The plow man received a call from me to request removal of the piles of wet snow and ice left by the street and sidewalk plows. Once that is completed, I will need to head out again to move the bits left behind the rear bumper of the car. I still am not driving, but feel the need to be ready in case there is an emergent reason for me to leave. I can drive, but choose not to with any regularity until the arm can do what a right arm should do when driving a vehicle. Removal of the piles also means that I can get to a car or taxi that might pick me up without me wading through knee deep -- or deeper in places -- slushy snow. A fun event today was to help a colleague pilot a research questionnaire. The topic is very interesting and I enjoyed the methodological discussions as well as being able to speak to someone who lives a distance from here now. 

The antics of humans partying around groundhog enclosures today made me think, If the animal doesn't see its shadow, spring comes early. If it does see a shadow, winter continues for six weeks more. So, much as I'd like to see the sun, perhaps clouds is what we want on this hopeful day. That brought some songs to mind. I chose one by a woman from Saskatchewan. The album cover shows Saskatoon in the background with the Saskatchewan River as the artist holds a prairie lily, the provincial flower of Saskatchewan.<smile>  Enjoy!

Both Sides Now -- Joni Mitchell


No comments:

Post a Comment