Tuesday 25 February 2020

Day 7 - 56 -- Mardi Gras

Laissez le bons temps rouler! Today is Mardi gras. I made these great vegetable pancakes for supper -- flour, milk, egg with grated potato, sweet potato, onion and mushrooms. Cranberry chutney accompanied these -- yum.

This day takes me back to my two visits to New Orleans. As a city that runs on unique food and music traditions, it is no wonder that I feel drawn to the place <smile>. Food styles of cajun, creole and European, Caribbean and indigenous peoples combine to form something so very amazing. Red beans and rice are a favourite and while I've mastered the dry roux without burning it, I don't make gumbo as often as I should. I did get it to the colour of a copper penny, though, the last time. <smile>. I had the most amazing alligator andouille sausage last time I was there. along with callas, gumbo, red fish, catfish, and so many other delights.

Music fills the air no matter where you are in the Quarter and into the Garden District. Every corner has a different sound. Today I narrowed the huge number of potential songs down to two. The first is by a Jersey girl )currently 62 <smile>) who can do a mean zydco beat.  The second is from a New Orleanian. He organized re-homing musicians who lost everything in the flooding after Katrina and Rita. The Musician's Village is located in the lower ninth ward -- all very brightly coloured houses. I had purchased a t-shirt to support the musicians relief fund on my first visit there and was pleased to see this community rebuilding. The t-shirt has a print of Fats Domino's piano -- the keyboard after it was destroyed in the flood. I was drawn to that since that is how my piano died, but in a very different location. Enjoy! 

  Down at the Twist and Shout  -- Mary Chapin Carpenter




Something you got -- Harry Connick, Jr.


No comments:

Post a Comment