Tuesday 11 February 2020

Day 7 - 42 -- Self Care

That birds of worry and care fly about your head, this you cannot change; but that they build nests in your hair, this you can prevent. -- Chinese Proverb
This proverb came to mind today as I walked along the street going to an appointment. Many surprising things recently occurred or are occurring now -- some positive and some not so much. Managing to problem solve these stresses takes immense energy. Being kind to yourself is extremely difficult at times, but self care is necessary to keep afloat. For example, I forgot to buy new contacts as planned in January, likely due to the sequelae of the fall in mid-month. I'm not driving now and walking is a bit treacherous with the icy sidewalks. So, as I tend not to do often, I may need to take a taxi <grin>. There are solutions.

A song that I enjoyed when I lived in Toronto decades ago, came to mind today. The Goffin and King song is from a few decades earlier, but was covered by a new local group -- one that soon began touring more widely. The video shows the original members; there have been several iterations over the years. The song helped me to relax as I got home from the very busy big city to my tiny apartment in a high-rise building -- the first time I'd lived in one. Looking out over the city from my balcony window, this song fit so well. Enjoy!

Up on the Roof -- The Nylons




No comments:

Post a Comment