Wednesday 5 February 2020

Day 7 - 35 -- Online Friends

Twenty five years ago this month, I met an amazing group of music fans -- online. This was during the rudimentary Internet access through newsgroups. The group migrated to different platforms as technology developed the broader Web and then social media. We used various chat rooms with very basic software. Luckily, we had several techie wizards who could help those of us with less programming background to navigate the pages and communicate with our friends.

I have met many of these people in person over the years -- often at concerts, but also when I was at professional conferences in the area where some group members lived, such as Washington DC, New York city, Philadelphia, and Colorado Springs. I met three more for the first time, just this past year. Even when meeting in person for the first time, I know these people well and they spoke and acted just as I'd expected <smile>. Many of these folks have become family -- by choice. We have shared life experiences from the highest highs to the lowest lows. The support from this group is amazing. Among those I know and communicate with regularly, are so many more I would love to meet.

My onscreen nickname came from the song chosen for today. Enjoy!

Saturday's Child -- The Monkees


1 comment:

  1. My online friends have been a lifeline many times, and now comprise most of my social life during "The Assignment That Ate My Life."

    Also they're a reminder that I had a life before this and will have one after. :)

    ReplyDelete