Monday 10 February 2020

Day 7 - 41 -- Managing Pain

The day began with an appointment with the physio. The arm pain was so bad yesterday, that it was clear I needed to go for help. I didn't go last week, as things felt like they were moving towards improvement, even if ever so slightly. I had tears while walking to the appointment and a few more while I sat with that amazing whirlpool bath. When asked what was new with me, I just choked out that I was so tired of this thing hurting. That made me feel self-centred -- I know several people struggling with physical and emotional (or both) pain. My arm pain will pass in the coming weeks. Other's pain will improve with time, also. Having the patience and belief that things will improve helps, but it can be difficult to hold onto that feeling. I've worked hard to notice any minor improvement in arm function or feel, but the remaining pain often wants to take over and drain all energy I have. So working to improve or believe doesn't go as well as planned when there is little energy to muster. Now that is battle imagery, the type of metaphor that I dislike using, but maybe that is what is needed in this case.

Working through the emotional flotsam often occurs in dreams -- places of metaphor, emotion and confusion. The song chosen for today uses amazing imagery in the lyrics. I find this one almost relaxing. Enjoy!

River of Dreams -- Billy Joel


No comments:

Post a Comment