Wednesday 1 July 2020

Day 7 - 183 -- Strange Celebrations

Happy Canada Day! This was different from any July 1 I recall. For starters, I was by myself in the house most of the day. Often, days were filled with barbecues __ and more recently at make-your-own pizza parties -- and visiting friends and family. Evenings would be trips to see fireworks -- again, more recently this was in the yard of friends. Today, celebrations didn't seem right. The past six months have brought so many nasty events. There have been some great things happen, too. Focus on these brings smiles, but often mixed with tears. The noon hour show from Ottawa was not the same and the Town and County had a virtual celebration recorded complete with fireworks accompanied by Handel's music for the royal fireworks. Celebrations are rarely solitary in nature. Sharing the joy with others works so much better.

Today I traveled down the rabbit hole. I read a few things online that I generally just pass by in order to remain calm and sane. Even headlines were a bit much. I work to find the hope in each day, yet some days all the uncertainty stomps over the faint glimmers I've uncovered. Today was such a day. I found smiles with a call to a friend. Another friend called me and we chatted a bit. I went for a walk and felt frustrated by the number of loud inebriated people I encountered with extra loud music inundating the neighbourhood. Parties are fine. Inflicting this on others all day long and into the early morning hours, is not fine.<sigh> The curmudgeon in me perhaps.

Well, sorry that isn't really uplifting. Some days are like that. The song that I thought of earlier in the day still feels right to share tonight. It holds hope. Stay safe. Enjoy!

Give me Love, Give me Peace on Earth -- George Harrison


No comments:

Post a Comment