Thursday 30 July 2020

Day 7 - 212 -- Not Really Alone

Another hot day but with less humidity and a bit more breeze -- so I'll take that one as a win. I spoke with a research colleague in the afternoon and then went out to run two errands. I then rushed over to the band shell in the park to meet a friend for a picnic supper. It was pleasant sitting by the brook under the trees. We had a good visit. It has been a about three weeks since we met last, I think, though I do lose track of time at present. We talked of many things -- laughed a lot and marveled at the weird place the world is right now.

I'll admit to feeling a bit alone most days. Some days this becomes more acute. Well, 136 days ago, I would have called a friend to go for tea or lunch or supper or to come by to chat over a glass of wine. I might have made plans to go to visit friends or family by driving down the highway or flying off somewhere. Those things are more difficult to do now. What I have done often, is met with friends over various platforms. This has been covered in the blog before, but it bears revisiting. Such visits on a screen or even the low tech telephone, do bring us together. Yes. It is not the same as being in the same physical space. But it really can help on those trickier days. Don't get me wrong, I miss hugs at a level that I'm not sure I can even explain -- but virtual visits is all we have for those further away at present. I have two people with whom I've done face to face visits as the isolation bubble was expanded by provincial public health. As of tomorrow, we will be required to wear masks when inside any public building. That makes the smiles a bit more difficult to communicate, but we can work those eyes a bit more so people get the point. <smile>.  I saw an ad shared on social media of a a pullover with a matching mask -- so it has begun -- the mask will be with us for a while, so making statements with them or adding them to our accessorizing seemed inevitable. I'm don't care beyond having fun with some patterns and such, as long as it helps people see these as a social norm.

When listening to a virtual concert tonight, I heard a song that spoke directly to me today -- one of those days with more than its share of 'lonely' moments. I knew it was the song to share here tonight. When searching for a rendition to include with the blog, I found that someone else had already noted the way in which the song fit the isolated feelings. (BTW this is further evidence to support my thesis that there really is very little original thought in the world <grin>). The singers in this version performed virtually much as the singers at the concert this evening did. Stay safe. Enjoy!

You will be found -- Ben Platt (from Dear Evan Hansen)



No comments:

Post a Comment