Saturday 3 December 2022

9-336 (2/12/22) -- First of the Season

The day had a cooler wintery feel. There were some sunny breaks between clouds but with the lower angle of the sun at this time of year, it was almost blinding when I was out walking. I walked up to campus to attend a small holiday gathering. I wore my mask most of the time, but did take it off to try a couple of the goodies -- wonderful Wensleydale cheese with blueberries, homemade bread, a spicy borscht and a fairly decent shortbread. Yum. Heading home, it felt slightly warmer, likely due to less wind. The crows were gathering along the brook. They have a different roosting spot every day. When gathered, there are many raucous conversations. I imagine they are communicating about their days adventures. These creatures communicate where to meet each day and can let others know where they've encountered someone trying to shoo them away. For the latter, they have long memories. A friend had them dropping stones at his head whenever he wore the hat he'd worn while trying to remove them in a slightly physical manner. They did not forget. By the same token, some individuals and groups will remember people who leave them little gifts of shiny objects and in some cases will return the favour with a different item left for the gift giver. 

I miss walking home every evening as the crows gather and begin their chats. I may have to go for my walks around sunset so I can walk by the larger area where they roost. They do make me smile. I chose a song covered by a Canadian artist and released in the past couple of months. The lyrics present people coming together -- much like we did today. There are other gatherings planned for the next few weeks, but this one was the first this year. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Christmas Time -- Bryan Adams




No comments:

Post a Comment