Tuesday 4 February 2014

Day 35 -- A Campaign for Change

As you may have gathered by reading this blog over the past month, change is a theme that I revisit often. We all must adapt to move forward in life -- growth rather than stagnation. Many people have campaigned for change to systems and institutions, but when it gets down to it, the change occurs with individuals who lead systems change. I have studied change theory from the points of an individual to communities to societies. Much of this theory is based within the ability of a handful of people to change their viewpoint and lead others in a new direction.

Recently the Governor-General, His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, championed a national campaign called 'My Giving Moment' as a way to develop a nation more focused on our communities and less on ourselves as individuals. The campaign strives to help Canadians use their "time, talent and money to help others." (mygivingmoment.ca)

I've often felt the need to 'pay it forward' or to support the 'random acts of kindness' that happen in our daily lives. I've encountered great kindness from total strangers.When in London last April for research work, I had a day off from the library so headed out to see Windsor and Windsor Castle. After an amazing tour and walk around the castle grounds, I headed into the quaint High Street of the town to forage for lunch. I found a delightful tea shop -- one with walls out of plumb called the Crooked Tea House <smile>.  I was seated in a lovely bay window overlooking the cobbled alley behind the house, in a room with a larger table of 7 people. They were enjoying a full tea and were from Asia and the UK. (I wasn't eavesdropping, it was just a very small room <smile>). I sat enjoying my cream tea -- clotted cream, strawberry preserves, amazing scones and a delightful Burundian tea.  I was just a few days from heading back to Canada, and for some reason was feeling somewhat alone -- for only a moment or two. As I was staring out the window, a male voice behind me said, "How are you doing today?" I turned and saw the host from the large table smiling at me. He then said, "We've all been visiting and enjoying ourselves and you are here alone. I've taken care of your bill." That happened just as I was feeling a wee bit self indulgent -- and it brought tears to my eyes as I choked out a thank you. The others at the table all gave me big grins as they were getting up to leave. There in the middle of a little English town, this action helped me back up out of the little homesick place I was briefly in and put a big smile on my face, showing me I was not alone after all. This turned my focus outward again -- and allowed me to find ways to put that same smile on the faces of others.

From those moments of interaction with strangers as well as those we know, we can refocus on our humanity. It need not be huge -- just  sharing a smile, helping a lost tourist, donating to a charity, volunteering skills in community groups -- it all helps build a better society and a better us. So -- today I have chosen a song that has always spoken to me about focusing on changing me rather than trying to change others. As Gandhi said, 'Be the change you want to see in the world.'  Enjoy!

Man in the Mirror -- Michael Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment