Thursday 20 February 2014

DAY 51 -- water and wet feet

Awoke to more snow -- the wet, heavy kind -- today. There is a lot of water around under the snow, so walking is nasty, especially if you have a small leak in your boots <smile>.  Many periods of total white-out occurred during the day interspersed with almost sunny skies. It felt like a spring-style storm, so perhaps the transition season is beginning. Shovelling this evening was hard work, but a kind soul stopped to help me with the end of the driveway -- it was delightful to have someone to talk to while shovelling for a change.

When I went downstairs to get something from the deep freeze for supper, I discovered water on the floor. It was soon clear that it wasn't really water, but sewage. A backup has filled the tub and pushed water and stuff out of the toilet. This house shares a sewer line with a public building out back and I am not convinced that what is downstairs comes from my place only -- actually quite sure this is from elsewhere. There is not enough bleach in the world. I'm waiting to hear from the landlord about a plumber for tomorrow. To be honest, if I don't hear back from him, I will call someone myself and deal with getting reimbursed later. I was clearing away some empty bottles for recycling this evening to provide better access to the takeout in the basement. That made me feel that this was my positive -- I had to clear up that little corner now and not let it sit for clean up another day <smile>.  

Everyone I see and speak to seems so over winter and snow removal. I will admit to being right there with them and I have been since the major December storms. It is much of the same thing over and over. Today, not only was there slush outside to make my feet wet, but my feet got wet in my basement. There just is a point when one has to say enough already. <smile>  

The selection for today deals with this feeling of world-weariness from the repetitive nature of our larger surround. It is by a true poet. Enjoy!

The Grand Ennui -- Michael Nesmith


No comments:

Post a Comment