Thursday 20 February 2014

Day 50 -- getting reacquainted

Today brought with it the chance to become reacquainted with a student who graduated a few years ago. She was back to present her research in our department seminar and I was able to go to supper with her and just chat. It was a fun evening. It was something for me to focus on besides shovelling the heavy snow today <grin>.

I often catch myself speaking in a very proprietary fashion about 'my' students. I do not own them or much of their success -- that is all their doing. It is wonderful to have been part of their academic career in any small way. I do feel pride in where many of them have landed -- it is really very heartening. It gives me confidence that the profession will move forward well in the coming decades.

Today's selection is an older tune by a newish artist -- and time here is quite relative <smile>.  Enjoy!

Getting to Know You -- James Taylor


No comments:

Post a Comment