Sunday 9 February 2014

Day 40 -- half-century anniversary

Can it really be 50 years since the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show? Everything on the TV points to this as the true elapsed time. I do recall this as a wee one. We were eating dinner in the kitchen listening to the TV that was in the living room. I wanted to go watch but didn't ask as I knew the answer would not be 'yes.'  When we heard Ed Sullivan introduce "The Beatles!" my dad looked at me and said, "Go on and watch your Beatles."  I ran into the living room and stood there watching them sing. Rock and roll would never be the same.

The next morning the school yard was filled with kids from kindergarten up to grade 8 singing the songs we'd all heard the previous night. When the TV special tonight says that the appearances changed America (and I would say the world), they definitely changed my world. The first album that I bought with my saved birthday money from a few years, was The Beatles Second Album (got it in the US -- The Canadian release had a different title -- Long Tall Sally, I think). My grandmother had loaned me money as I'd left all my US dollar bills at home when we travelled to Seattle to visit family. I'm not sure she was happy with how I spent it, but she did smile whenever we spoke of it in later years.

On my two trips to London, I have visited places of Beatle fame --  Abbey Road studies, walked the Abbey Road crosswalk, office sites of Maca and Apple Records, and Saville Row where the rooftop concert occurred. The music and lyrics have been with me most of my life, including the solo careers after the infamous breakup. I even have one of their songs on the list for a funeral/memorial service noted along with my will.

So, what song to choose for today? Anyone who knows me, knows that narrowing likes down to a specified number just doesn't work with me <smile>. So, instead I'm sharing the event that started it all. Enjoy!

The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show (all 3 shows in 1965)


No comments:

Post a Comment