Tuesday 25 February 2014

Day 56 -- Cleaning up

After a call to the landlord today, there will be someone in tomorrow to pull up the linoleum and vanity followed by some cleaning and sanitizing of the area. I did some surface cleaning on Friday, but couldn't -- and wouldn't -- try to do any demo to get to the rest of the sludge. I expect it will be a while before I have a new vanity and lino, but at least it will be clean there. Luckily the main bathroom is upstairs so full facilities will be  available for that duration.

Reflecting on this process has brought up many negative thoughts. Knowing that toxic 'stuff' was in the basement even for a short time has been unsettling at best. Today was day 6, so the thought that the remaining sludge could be growing something even worse than the sludge itself is outright scary. I will be very happy when this mess has been dealt with fully.

I guess some of this also brought back memories of the major flood at my parents home over a decade ago. That one brought 5.5 feet of water into the basement from a water main break that came in through the sewer line -- the physics of this is rather fascinating, but the outcome was horrific. My piano was one of the casualties -- just 5 months before I had planned to have it shipped east to me. That one still hurts. All the other items that were lost was heart-wrenching. Luckily, the photos were on the top shelf, so we still had family pictures from the early 1900s when both sets of grandparents were just married. Some photos were damaged, but the restoration company did a good job with those and with the sheet music from 1930s and 1940s.  My mom had been working on a quilt for me and it was thrown out without even trying to salvage any of it. For the backup last week, few things were lost -- just a floor rug and a bath mat. There was also a set of rubber gloves and a sponge mop from the attempt to control the liquid from spreading across the hall to the carpeted rooms -- and the slippers that made first contact.

Today's selection reminded me of the potential issues that can be brought on by such uncontrollable and unexpected situations. (Note: this one does carry a language warning). Enjoy!

You're my kryptonite -- Matt Easton



No comments:

Post a Comment