Sunday 23 February 2014

Day 53 -- Musical Friends

Today it dawned on me that 19 years ago this month I assumed the online persona of Saturday's Child. I've checked the bookshelf but the annual calendar/diary was not there. It will be in the basement in a box -- one that I must locate as I do want to know the day that I entered a newsgroup on the Internet and met a group of people who have become dear friends, many of whom I have met in person.

We all discussed the group from the '60s, The Monkees and began to get to know each other beyond this common interest. A subset of that original group -- and it grew tremendously over that year leading into the 30 year reunion tours -- still communicates daily. We began on the alt.music.monkees (known lovingly as amm), moved to a listserv or two, began chatting Sunday evenings on dalnet, and now use Facebook and Skype to keep in touch. From an anthropological standpoint, the kinship felt by group members is undeniable. The formation of a social structure online is one thing, but the development of family goes far beyond that. We have seen each other through many of life's joys and sorrows. Indeed, we see each other through things day-by-day and even hour-by-hour, as needed. Group members feel comfort and trust when communicating with each other.

I have met many of the core group when travelling to conferences across the US (I am the only Canadian in the group <smile>) as well as several concert road trips to cities in the US and even Toronto. When meeting for the first time, I have never felt at a loss for words -- we really have many things in common beyond our musical roots. I'm not sure that all 'pen-pals' could say that. I know that this group of friends has been instrumental in getting me through many down times but they have also been cheering along with me for the up times. While I may curse technology some days <smile>, without it I'd be much poorer for not knowing this great group of people.

Today's selection is the basis of the screen nick. Enjoy!

Saturday's Child -- The Monkees


2 comments:

  1. Are you sure it's not longer than that? I think I joined the listserv in 1994....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I t was February for me and I was in Saskatoon -- had arrived there Sept 1994, so I joined in 1995. I'm not sure when amm started. I think Zan said it was 20 years for her this year, so maybe I was just a late bloomer

      Delete