Saturday 8 February 2014

Day 38 -- In the calm light of day

Well -- the day dawned with gorgeous sunshine and still a sparkling world. I was a little short on sleep, but managed to get through all classes, meetings and appointments. The three odd issues from yesterday are in the process of being managed -- certainly not the best solutions that I'd wish for, but they are what they are.

Tonight after finishing some lecture slides and notes for 1-2 classes next week, I had a lovely relaxing shower to wash my hair. Then, I settled in to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. The interpretive dance of such events can be very cool or just so plain avant garde you can't take your eyes off it <g>. I did like the Swan Lake interpretation -- very cool indeed. I wore red yesterday and today and the Vancouver games mitts are my go to hand warmers for the duration. (As an aside, these mitts were found by a friend in BC who hunted through bins to find the right size and mail them off to me. We had no store in my little town that would carry the Olympic gear. Re-connecting with friends from the past who just happen to live in larger centres has more benefits that one could imagine -- this was but a small aspect of the power of social media.) I do look forward to watching some of the games this month. The time change will be a challenge, but once the schedule is clear, I can set the recording equipment and time shift.

Today's selection is for the Sochi games. It is by a Russian singer who often wrote social and political commentary. This is a scene from the movie "White Nights" with a defector from Soviet Russia dancing to one of the folk tunes. It is difficult to decide which is the star here -- the song or the dance -- both are quite magical. Enjoy!

Koni (Horses) -- by Vladimir Vysotsky (interpretive dancer -- Mikhail Baryshnikov)


No comments:

Post a Comment