Saturday 15 February 2014

Day 46 -- the calm before the storm

A quiet Saturday here. I've worked on lectures for next week with a few breaks to do some laundry and wash my hair. I've been charging all the electronics in case power is lost in the on-coming storm. This one may bring some ice pellets and perhaps some freezing rain followed by rain. All precipitation will be accompanied by strong winds. Before we get a chance to experience and clean up from this storm, there is another in the offing for mid-week.

A highlight today was a phone conversation with a friend back home who turned 98 this past week. She called to tell me how much she enjoyed my card and that she'd shown it to a number of people and they all giggled just like she does whenever she reads it.  I'll admit that it made me giggle a bit at the store, too <smile>. She has such a positive outlook on life even when being 98 must bring some down times as well as some health issues. She has always been a positive and fun person and I love that aging hasn't changed that part of her. She is a fantastic role model for how to age -- just be yourself not what you think someone of your age should be. The other major point that I take from her is to stay active -- move as you can and be social. She goes out almost every day with friends for afternoon tea break or for meals. The major point from her calling me today surely has to be that we need to keep in touch with people even when far away and that sending an actual paper card can mean an awful lot to someone. So -- I will strive to let people know when I am thinking of them and try to be a better correspondent <Smile>.

Today's selection is about a place on Cape Breton Island of Nova Scotia -- and is one that is heard around here often. The melody and words carry the wistfulness of wanting to be home again -- something my phone calls today brought to mind. The singer is also a Nova Scotian. Enjoy!

Song for the Mira -- Anne Murray



No comments:

Post a Comment