Tuesday 18 February 2014

Day 49 -- stepping up the pace

As the midterm break (aka reading week) looms on the horizon, the usual frenzied pace at work ratcheted up a couple notches today. All of a sudden, the many things that are due to be done before break have to fit into the next 3 days. Where did the time go? There will be back to back meetings, exams, seminars, classes and packing sessions (moving a research space to another locale -- in my 'spare time' <grin>). We will all survive this, but there is definite anxiety and tensions in the air.

When in grade school, I recall the angst of waiting a couple of days for some exciting event. As I got older, summer and Christmas vacations seemed so far away and took forever to arrive. My parents told me time would go faster as I got older, but I just didn't understand how it would ever happen. I spoke of this very thing with my 98 year old friend back home this past weekend. She said that she still finds time passes more and more quickly as she ages. I've noted that people I met online and have talked with daily for 'a while' have now been in my life for 20 years. Again, where does the time go? One other thing that my older friend has always said to me, even when she was just 65 <smile> -- "don't wish your life away."  That one is difficult as there are always fun things to look forward to and less pleasant things that just need to be done and gone. Yet, when I find myself thinking this way as a result of the anxieties of the moment, I do recall this advice. Pausing to be in the moment, being mindful, can be challenging when all the world seems to be swirling around you. Yet, just a minute here and there can help ground you so that things go more smoothly when you return to the task. Today as I trudged through the new fallen snow being almost grumpy, I caught myself and said out loud,   "the snow is light and fluffy" and "look, it is even sparkling in the sun we have today." These little observations helped set a more positive tone for my day.

Today's selection reflects these feelings about the passage of time as we age. Enjoy!

Time -- Pink Floyd


No comments:

Post a Comment