Wednesday 26 February 2014

Day 57 -- mayhem replaced with melancholy

The mayhem of the sewer backup seems over for now. The restoration and cleaning company came in today to remove lino and the vanity and to sanitize surfaces. I will admit that the 'lemon spice' scent of the sanitizing solution was a welcomed odour.

Tonight when I opened Facebook, I found sad news. The mother of a colleague and friend died suddenly yesterday. She was 61. While I understand the loss of a parent, I don't presume to know how others feel when struck by this type of loss. I can imagine some of the possible thoughts and emotions having been through the shock of an unexpected death. But again, I won't project my feelings on someone else. I do know that this will be painful.

My first thought was 'oh no' followed quickly by 'what can I do for you?'  Interesting that we often process our own distress by cooking or doing something for the other person. Cooking may not be needed as they will be out of town for the next few days -- maybe next week. Does this make it all about me? Or is it that when faced with loss even when removed from our immediate surround, that past personal losses resurface? I'm not sure that one ever gets over a loss, but we generally -- eventually -- learn to move forward again, not in the former way but in a 'new normal' way. I also don't believe that we learn how to grieve. Each loss is different and we are different each time one visits.

I will share something that a friend shared with me when my father passed -- something that made me regain some calm and understand that he will never be truly gone. The card said, "Tonight when you look up at the stars, think of them as porch lights welcoming your loved one home."

Today's selection is somewhat melancholy to fit my current mood. It has a  stunningly beautiful melody and great lyrics all sung by a truly amazing voice. Enjoy!

Juliana -- Michael Nesmith




No comments:

Post a Comment