Thursday 11 May 2017

Day 4 - 131 -- A New View

I awoke with the early alarm today so I could get to an early appointment at 8:30. Just before 8, I heard what sounded like a chainsaw  outside -- a sound that means felling trees or a house fire in my experience here. The early morning aspect of this sound meant it was something big. Looking out the window showed me nothing, and the noise stopped. About 15 minutes later, the noise resumed. Out my front window I saw three people gathered on the sidewalk in front of my house looking across the street. On closer inspection, I saw them holding guide ropes and almost immediately the beautiful 3.5 story white pine from my neighbour's yard fell across their yard, the street and onto the sidewalk beside my driveway. The excavator took over as others cut the tree into lengths to lift into the dump truck. I knew then I'd not be out of the driveway until later than I'd hoped.

Perhaps being on the late end of the appointment was just as well, since I was in tears from the point of seeing the tree fall. This magnificent tree was likely over 50 if not 60 years old.  I am from the prairies so treasure trees. This one had grown to the point of covering much of the roof shingles, which need to be replaced. It isn't one that is easier to trim like a deciduous tree, so felling it was the only option. I was surprised at my emotional reaction, but then realized it was a 'friend' of sorts -- always out my front window view and green in the winter and not only the summer. My neighbour noted that there was so much more light in their kitchen and upstairs room even on this grey and rainy day.

It will take some time to get used to the new view outside my window. So, yet another metaphor for life changes hits me in the face (symbolically at least). I bounced around on which song line fit best and settled on one that is a bit more upbeat. This Broadway tune covers the concept of a new view on life. Enjoy!

Open a New Window -- Angela Lansbury (from Mame)




No comments:

Post a Comment