Friday 12 May 2017

Day 4 - 132 -- Learning to Relax

Friday. That great end of the work week (for some of us) type feeling. The sun even came out with patches of blue sky visible by late afternoon. I did some errands in the morning and then was off to attack the to do list at my desk. I managed to get several items tied up by the end of the day. A couple of items may need minor editing before sending things off on Monday. But the heavy lifting has been done.

The highlight of the day was heading out for lunch with friends. Just sitting in a restaurant for lunch seems so indulgent. It is something that doesn't really happen much (if at all) during the academic term. Time just doesn't permit this to happen. So, during the break from classes, which is definitely not a break from work, we prepare for the coming fall and winter term classes and labs, work frantically on getting some research writing completed and submitted, and deal with many administrative duties and committee tasks. In the midst of all this, I need to do a good weeding of course files on my shelves in order to make room for the new courses that will be mine in the coming year. Somewhere in there needs to be the vacation time, since this is the only time of year we can take vacation. So -- as someone said to me today, no rest for the wicked. <smile>

Taking time with friends for a nice lunch out helped with the relaxation somewhat. Coming down from the 8 months of constant frenetic pace can take some time and effort. I've been trying to find a place of peace with what needs to be done in the coming months -- it isn't easy, but I'm trying. <smile> Many lyrics of a song mention the feelings of competition, indecision, and need for peace and calm. This is from an older group. I enjoy the intro with its guitar string squeak and jangle (not sure that is a word, but it is an onomatopoetic term for what my brain hears). Enjoy!

Peace of Mind -- Boston


No comments:

Post a Comment