Tuesday 30 May 2017

Day 4 - 150 -- Decisions and Choices

It has been election day in the province today. Weather was stellar, so no rain to deter voters. I waited until mid-morning to cast my ballot, since I'd assumed it might be busier on the way into work, over the noon hour and right after work. There was no waiting in line as occurred the last time I voted provincially. The workers said that it hadn't been busy but only a steady trickle of people. Advance polls were open for a week, with the Returning Office closing at 6 PM yesterday, so perhaps many managed to vote early. I had planned to do that on the weekend, but got involved in other things so put it off until today -- the official election day.  We'll know more tomorrow about voter turnout and timing of voting. The preliminary call could go either way -- a majority or minority government. It is coming down to just a few hundred votes. We'll see.

I generally feel quite somber when I vote, recognizing the privilege that comes with this right. It was 101 years ago that women first got the right to vote in the western provinces, with those in Manitoba also being able to hold provincial office as well as vote. Voting rights for women were added in other provinces from 1917 (Ontario) to 1940 (Quebec). In 1960, aboriginal Canadians were given full voting rights. Until then, to vote required that the person relinquish treaty status. Many parts of the world do not have free and fair elections yet. So, even on snowy or rainy days, I get myself to the polling station to vote. I am a self-confessed political junkie. I comment often and feel that if I hadn't voted, I would have given up my right to kibitz. Just to be clear, I find the positive, the negative and the in-between fair game regardless of the party involved. I strongly recommend that everyone exercise their franchise -- irrespective of the inclination of their vote. Participation is the centre of democracy. With that, I'll step down from my soapbox <smile>

A song line or two ran through my head today and made me smile. The words seemed to fit an election so well. It is what it all comes down to when faced with the ballot and where to place the 'X' <smile>.  Loved this group with the Canadian guitarist <smile>. Enjoy!

Did You Ever Have to Make Up Your Mind -- The Lovin' Spoonful




No comments:

Post a Comment