Monday 15 May 2017

Day 4 - 135 -- Reasoned Writing

The day was a typical Monday -- one that started with a negative. I spent some time working through the ideas presented to me as 'facts' since I need to address each point in a rebuttal. This response won't happen for a couple of days, as I need to let the emotion subside a bit so my words don't cast aspersions. Emotion can muddle the facts and not let them speak for themselves. By the end of the work day, I was feeling better about the situation thanks to several great people who let me talk it out with each of them.

This brought back ideas from previous blog posts. Communication was the main one that I pondered. Word choice can distract a reader rather than make the point the writer hoped would be clear. Emotion can cloud clear communications. Sadly, use of electronic means of communication can actually engender the 'flame war' or knee jerk method of writing. It might be a good exercise to get that out of one's system, but actually sending such a diatribe might not do anyone any favours. That brings me to the second past theme that came to mind -- kindness. When complaining or persuading, ensuring that words used are kind and show a degree of compassion can put the writer in a more favourable light. It can add strength to the main message and not focus attention on the emotive writer. These approaches to communicating with others take time, calmness and an ability to see the bigger picture. All of this can present the message without presenting an emotional writer. Writing several drafts can be useful and can help to rid the message of possible hot button words. This also takes experience -- not necessarily years, but a degree of maturity. So, I will wait to respond until I feel more settled and able to present my comments in a calm and reasoned manner. This doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else, but it could make the writing better than if I fired off something quickly. While e-communications are wonderful as we can get things out quickly and move on to the next item on our overfull schedule, they do not have the same rhythm of paper and pen to write, edit and finalize. Speed is not everything <smile>.

Today I chose a song that deals with kindness. While the lyrics likely relate to another person, they could just as easily refer to being kind to oneself. We need to slow down. Being a rushed writer does no favours and likely won't communicate what was intended <smile>. The song also mentions the wet weather that has been outside my window for the past 24 hours. Enjoy!

A Box of Rain -- The Grateful Dead


No comments:

Post a Comment