Monday 1 October 2018

Day 5 - 273 -- Something New

New beginnings. A new month began today -- October, one of my favourite months. In a meeting with a friend and colleague this afternoon, a new project began. We have talked around this project for some time but today it became more tangible. It is the beginning of a longer journey that I feel excited about taking.

I find that the beginning of the projects can be very exciting. A new idea can bring positive feelings. I've also seen that as things progress my interest wanes. The execution takes more effort than available often. What causes this lack of desire to see things through? They do get done, but it isn't without a fair amount of teeth gnashing. Is it that I am a thinker and less of a doer -- the one who takes ideas and puts them into a planned format and then passes it over to those who love 'doing' the project and are not as happy with the 'talking it out' process? I've been in groups where a concept is to be discussed and goals and objectives developed. More often than not, the 'how to' becomes front and centre before "what" has been fully defined. I find myself feeling very frustrated with this since the 'what' is what I do best. Deciding how to do something without a clear picture of the scope or nature of the problem can yield a solution that just doesn't meet the needs -- it doesn't fit.

A song that discusses plans gone awry seemed to best suit the meanderings of thoughts today. Lyrics of the shared selection provide insight into when plans go off the rails -- the impact can be huge on some people involved while the planners may just feel embarrassed at their failure.  It is an interesting concept, one that likely comes from doing without clearly knowing what needed to be planned. Enjoy!

The Planner's Dream Goes Wrong -- The Jam 





No comments:

Post a Comment