Tuesday 30 October 2018

Day 5 - 301 -- Muddy Venture

The day brought sunshine and warmer temperatures after the pouring rains overnight. Everything outside is saturated. All the leaves made less noise as I walked over them rather than through them this morning. With the sun, they would dry up quickly, well at least the top layer. When I returned home in the afternoon, the front yard had been cleared of the leaves that were down so far. There are still a lot left on the trees, especially those in the back yard, which fall close to two weeks behind those in the front yard. The fellow doing the clean up for us waited until midday to ensure things would be somewhat dry before he began the job of moving and removing the leaves.

I took advantage of the warmer temperatures and lack of precipitation to do the last of the rebuilding of flower beds where the workers had cleared things when rebuilding the front porch. I had rescued some ferns and irises from being uprooted or buried under inches of gravel fill. Now was the time to transplant them into the fall beds so they can expand into the soil and grow again in the spring. I had three pots with bits to replant on either side of the front stairs. Digging was easier due to the several inches of rain that have fallen in the past two weeks. When I removed the root clumps from the post, I realized that the soil was very wet, making the clumps heavier than expected. When I finished with those pots, I decided to move the last one back to its home on the back porch. It is a huge pot of chives. When I went to lift it, I had a surprise -- again the weight was much more than it should be. The soil was at least half water. I had to pour out some of it onto the top of the porch and lug the container to the bottom of the stairs, where I emptied all the remaining water into the flour beds. By that time, my jeans were soaked with muddy water and had spots of mud splashed all over. It made me laugh as I lugged the pot around to the back. I'm very glad I chose to do this outside and not try to carry the mess through the house and out the back door -- which would have been easier in drier times.

There was no question about who the singer for the day's selection would be.  I chose one of his songs that has fun lyrics about history albeit a bit of a fantasy <smile>. Enjoy!

The Blues had a Baby and They Named it Rock and Roll -- Muddy Waters


No comments:

Post a Comment