Saturday 13 October 2018

Day 5 - 285 -- Staring at Screens

This morning a bit of sunshine entered the kitchen. While shining through clouds, it was feeble but very, very welcome. Most of the day was cloudy, but that bit of sun brought hope. The furry one even laid within the faint outline of sunshine on the floor. My day consisted of the usual housecleaning and laundry. During the afternoon, I spent time working to understand a new device that plays nice for some software apps and not nice or not at all for others. Trying to get around the silliness led to some greater understanding on my part, but a couple major needed apps still freak out. I'll check with the IT folks next week and see if we can figure things out together.

Online communications have become integral to our days -- particularly when out of the home for work or travel. Carrying a full encyclopedia in our pockets or book bags feels surreal. Access to all libraries with digitized materials brings access for everyone. Shopping online brings almost anything to the front door in a short time. This latter one isn't one of my favourites, but I have done this -- living in a tiny town means fewer outlets to purchase required items. I find the use of major online realtors to purchase one or two items such a waste of packaging materials. I haven't found the sustainability in that form of shopping. From a local standpoint, jobs are lost when bricks and mortar stores close or downsize. Not everyone will find work at a large warehouse without moving to a different location. Shopping online for groceries isn't likely to occur for me. I want to choose my own produce and compare the different packaged or canned items for price and nutrition. Spending all my time with a flickering screen is not in the cards. For most of these online activities, the personal interaction is missing. That sounds like it could lead to a rather lonely existence. I hope to remain someone who speaks with another person and doesn't stare at a screen instead when out for tea or a meal or a walk. So -- working to integrate the requisite devices into my life without them taking over my every waking moment. <smile>

A fun song came to mind while reading the manual on one screen and working to troubleshoot on the other screen -- after I laughed at myself, that is. The lyrics deal with the stereotypical person who uses electronic communications almost exclusively. While that stereotype still exists, it is far from the only type being led around with their nose in a screen. Enjoy!

Online -- Brad Paisley 


No comments:

Post a Comment