Saturday 27 October 2018

Day 5 - 291 -- Finding Perspective

Today emotions ran the full gamut.
  • Fear and anxiety for travel on icy roads. The usual 45 minute trip took well over an hour on two lane highway. Once the divided highway began just outside of the next town, the roads were dry, the sky was blue and no further frozen precipitation was falling from dark grey cloud.  The car needs a bath to get rid of the salty road spray, but major rain is expected for the next two days, which should take care of things. 
  • Thankfulness for getting to the other side of the yucky roads without incident. I felt almost giddy when I stopped at a gas station to wash the schmutz off the windows. Then when I sat back in the car, I just cried.
  • More anxiety for being behind a well planned schedule -- and more thankfulness for getting where I needed to be on time in spite of the weather and very early start to the day. 
  • Happiness when I was reminded of a trip with friends over 20 years ago and another just 6 years ago. Seeing places we visited together out the plane window brought wonderful memories and smiles. 
  • Enjoyment when I was able to have a restaurant meal at an ethnic restaurant that I've heard many good things about. Fresh made Chinese dumplings and a bowl of hot and sour soup -- true comfort foods after a day filled with every emotion imaginable. 
Even with the ups and downs in feelings,  I found when waiting in lines for service, I was calmer than I expected to be with the heightened anxiety state. Feeling relief and thanks seemed to colour the moods more than the anxiety. This also presented me with opportunities to thank those assisting me -- a spread the love type of thing <smile>. Staying in a positive place made the day move along smoothly -- a mindset that evolved from perspective.

A song that I heard on morning TV fit well with the physical feelings that accompanied the emotions -- raised pulse rate and increased body temperature from the rise in adrenaline and stress hormone levels. This is a cover of the original from a new album by Canadian artists produced as a tribute to the songwriter and singer who left this world a year ago.The album title is Canada Covers Tom Petty. Enjoy!

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around -- Matt Epp and Christina Martin





No comments:

Post a Comment