Saturday 6 October 2018

Day 5 - 278 -- Meaningful Metaphor

Two conversations this week informed my journey through the liminal space between working and retirement. The first validated much of what I've been feeling -- trying to find where I belong, define who I am and see a path forward. From that came a few concrete ideas that could be put in place -- things that might help us to plan the way forward.

The second conversation with a colleague brought two wonderful statements. In our discussion the other party quoted a shared acquaintance who is closing in on retirement and has some serious plans already in place that will occupy the time with meaningful activity. That acquaintance had stated, "The next 10 years are important years." How insightful and stated succinctly and simply as is her usual way. As we continued to speak about the process of preparing and constructing a retirement, my colleague noted that she was "getting the large stones into the jar." What an amazing metaphor. That helped me to see what I have done -- planned the timing, arranged some transitional activity and embarked on the journey into retirement. There are still some larger stones that need to be added -- like where do I want to live? That can wait as I begin to add some of the smaller stones and pebbles representing the fun things and living life.

I will say that this past week has seen the first epiphany of what this journey could look like -- the first of many, I hope that will mark this rite of passage. The first conversation brought some lyrics to mind.
How does it feel to be on your own with no direction or home -- a complete unknown? 
The song has been recorded by many artists. Based on the second discussion, the version that I'd choose became much clearer <smile>.  Enjoy!

Like a Rolling Stone -- The Rolling Stones

No comments:

Post a Comment