Saturday 27 October 2018

day 5 - 295 -- Taken for Granted

What a day! Where to begin? After morning sessions at conference, I checked-out and had time for a walk before heading to the airport. Clear blue sky, 24C, with a light breeze. Roses blooming and hibiscus finishing the bloom cycle. The walk went further than I'd intended, but the exercise helped work out some anxiety about upcoming travel. Many positive interactions with strangers occurred today -- airport personnel, tourists asking me for directions <grin>, other travelers. I made an effort to compliment those in jobs that can be thankless at times. Flights went well, as did customs and immegration. On the last leg of the flight I was delighted to see my seat mate was a colleague on his way back from business in Viet Nam. At the end of a long day, I headed to the baggage carousel only to hear my name being paged. My bag was still in Montreal! There had been 1.5 hours between flights, so there seems to be no explanation as to why it missed that final leg of the journey. Good news in the message was that they knew it was not on the plane and let me know before standing there watching and waiting as all other bags moved past me -- over and over. This felt much better and put me in a better mood than when anxiety rises and emotions run amok when one's luggage does not show up. It should be on the first light in the morning, which arrives here at 10:30. Luckily, due to the late hour, I had planned to stay at one of the airport hotels tonight. The airline will deliver it to the hotel in the morning. So -- a very positive day ended with a lower point.

I realized tonight that I take a lot for granted or simply miss things along the journey. The flowers and smiles could easily be passed by when one is all wound up inside oneself. Even knowing the contents of a suitcase could be replaced -- well, to some extent as it wouldn't be exactly the same items -- brings some degree of calm mixed in with the anxiousness. Having pajamas to wear or clean clothes or makeup or snacks and small meals -- all of which can be too bulky for the personal carry on -- in this case my messenger bag style book bag -- can become a challenge and help us see what we assume will be there whenever we need it. Trying to be calm and noting the kindness of others when in the midst of an unexpected situation can move us to a place of acceptance and allow us to move forward.

After a soothing shower, I headed off to bed. The words that had come to mind earlier in the day still seemed to fit this evening. The lyrics speak to the need for kindness as we walk the journey. Enjoy!


Get Together -- The Youngbloods


No comments:

Post a Comment