Sunday 18 April 2021

Day 8 - 108 -- Outdoor Colours

Today was another cold and rainy spring weekend day. The quality of the light makes the grass an intense green even though it provides a rather dismal look to the day. This reminded me of a work trip when I was with public Health back in Saskatchewan. That day was bright, sunny and warm -- an early June summery day. As I drove by a tiny town, on the right I noticed a cat walking the ridge line of an old barn. I thought that was odd. As my gaze moved towards a forward view, I noticed the road covered with small gravel sized pebbles and longer stems of grass -- more likely a grain from the surrounding fields. To the left the sky was a deep navy blue, the plants were a vivid green and the ditch water was a surreal Caribbean turquoise. Looking forward again, a squarish whit cloud seemed to be at ground level in the distance. Now when I saw the road debris, my head swiveled to see the sky from all directions. I was looking for a funnel cloud. Ten minutes further down the road, a semi had been blown into the ditch by what was later determined to be a straight line wedge wind. I pulled off the road at that small town thinking I'd visit with my mom's cousins for a bit until the weather moved further east than I had to travel. In that town, I found that the streets were covered in tree branches and leaves. People were just coming out of their homes to survey the damage. Needless to say, I passed on adding to the stress of relatives at that moment. Instead, I parked by the grain elevator and listened to radio weather reports. 

When I submitted my travel sheets for that trip, I asked the office manager if I could put in for the 'beyond roads end' rates since I had clearly seen Oz that day. <smile> The song shared today may not surprise anyone. I hope the cover version chosen might be. Keep safe. Enjoy!

Over the Rainbow -- Ella Fitzgerald 



No comments:

Post a Comment